Ritz Bitz

Ritz Bitz

Monday, April 18, 2011

Headline News!

Last week was a VERY exciting week for us.  For you to understand how exciting this first bit is, I need to give a little bit of background information.  Glenn, my 11 year old, has had to watch his younger sister receive academic and behavior awards for years.  She has been given many honors in school.  She is on the honor roll every trimester.  The really annoying thing is that she doesn't even try!  She is actually kinda lazy about her school work.  She would rather read or run around outside.  She was way ahead of him in piano, without hardly ever practicing.  Even though they started lessons at the same time.   This has all bothered Glenn for years.  Honestly, it has made me sad to watch it.  He is so good and wants credit for al his hard work.  He has ADHD and has a much more difficult time, even though he tries way harder.  He has been setting goals to receive awards, but never does.

Over the last few months he has been practicing extra hard at piano and has now pulled ahead of Lily.  He was thrilled.  She didn't seem to care at all.

Last week was the awards assembly for the 2nd trimester.  I was sent an expected summons to attend, so I could witness Lily receive her academic honor roll certificate.  The next day I was handed ANOTHER summons, to witness GLENN receive HIS academic Rising All Star Award.  On his recent report card he had almost perfect grades.  He earned every one of them!  I am SO proud of him. 

Glenn, center, with his award.  He was so dang PROUD! 

Lily, center, with yet another award.  I was very proud of her too!

Glenn, sitting with his 5th grade class, being embarrassed by Harrison, who was trying to play peek a boo with him.  I just realized that he was also, possibly, embarrassed by his mother taking pictures of the situation.

In other news...
While shopping at Costco on Friday and trying to keep Harrison from talking to all the strangers, I got a call from the school.  It was the secretary calling to let me know that Lily was one of four students who made it to the district spelling bee!  I knew that she was chosen to participate in the school bee.  She said she didn't do well, and wasn't expecting to move one.  Boy was she wrong!  I can't wait to go cheer her on next week!

7 comments:

Bailey said...

oh my gosh!!!! lily is such a little smarty pants. i'm really amazed that she is such a good speller, although its probably because i made her read Harry Potter. so now she knows how to spell obscure words like "Avada" and "Mimblewimble".

Hesses Madhouse said...

Way to go Ritz kids! All I have to say is, "Well, duh! Of course they're amazing....Look at their parents!" How can they lose? Can't wait to hear about the spelling bee. Go Lily!!!

Alisha said...

That's so cool to see a kid "try" and finally succeed! It means that much more.

Julia said...

Way to go Glenn! That just made me tear up! My heart is swelling with pride for him, and I've never even met him!

How sweet victory is when we work so hard for it! What a great lesson he's learning--love, love, love!

The Allreds said...

You have some great kids! So happy that Glen got to experience that academic highlight with an award to prove it!!!!!! Neat to hear that his hard work has paid off on the piano also! Everyone keep up the GOOD work!! Keep making your mommy proud : )

Cindy said...

It's about time! Glenn is one of the smartest kid I know! That just doesn't always translate to school performance. I am very happy for him!

Alyssa Phair said...

I was just like Lily as a kid. No wonder why my sister hated me! Glenn is such a good kid! I'm glad he used his sister as motivation and was awarded for his efforts. Good for him! I love your kids! Miss you :)
-Alyssa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...