Ritz Bitz

Ritz Bitz

Monday, April 11, 2011

Smart Lessons

When Glenn was little, about 5, my dad asked Glenn to give him 'Smart Lessons.'  When we visit my dad he asks, "Glenn, you have a smart lesson for me?"  And then Glenn will proceed to enlighten grandpa with knowledge recently gleaned from a book or a documentary he has seen. 

This last weekend we were at my parents house.  Kylie had recorded a show titled, "The Whale who Ate Jaws."  She was really excited to show it to him.  He was bored, "I've already seen it."  She was incredulous! "You did?  Oh yeah?!  What part of the shark did the whale eat?!"  Glenn calmly answered, "The liver."  Kylie was put in her place, "Oh," she said.

Later that night, Glenn and Lily came to our concert with my mom, Kylie and a friend - Katelyn.  Jason and I were singing in a concert at Willamette University in Salem.  There was a small canal/stream running through the campus.  Kylie said something about jumping the river.  Glenn said, "I'll jump it!"  He ran and leaped.  He landed on a patio on the lower bank that Kylie and Katelyn could not see.  They stopped breathing!  Glenn pulled a real good one on them!

On Sunday morning we were just starting to tell the kids to get in the car for church when we heard Glenn screaming.  He was screaming like someone was trying to kill him.  We ran upstairs to find his hand stuck in the door jam to his bedroom, and Harrison holding the door shut.  I did not take a picture because it was disgusting!  His little finger looked crushed!  I thought it was broken.  Luckily Jason determined that it wasn't. We missed the first hour of church. 

On the way home from church Glenn said, "I have a Smart Lesson for all of you!"  Lily and Max were eager to hear it.  "Never put your hand on a door jam!"  Then, I added a smart lesson of my own, "Do NOT slam doors!"  (That is a big problem with my boys.)

One more Smart Lesson for you.  Do NOT drive drunk.  AND... If you are driving and see a driver who might be drunk call 911.  That's what we did on Saturday night, driving home from Salem at midnight.  There was a driver majorly tail gating, swerving, drifting, slowing down, speeding up really fast.  Jason made me call 911.  It was kind of cool.  The cop had us follow him till he got close.  Then, he asked us to turn on our hazard's.  When we did, he got excited and said, "I see you!"  We wondered if the driver had something like this happen before, because after we turned our hazard's on, he changed lanes, sped up really fast and then exited. He turned on his signal to change lanes which was a huge surprise to us, after the way he'd been driving.  The cop excitedly asked, "Did he just activate the turn signal?!?"  I had to try not to laugh! 

We do realize that the guy might not have been drunk.  He could've been a very tired, hard working man, driving home after a LONG shift.  The Smart Lesson is this, Call for help, the police can decide and figure it out.  As Jason said, "In the back of my van, I have 5 little reasons, to call and report that kind of driving." 

5 comments:

Hesses Madhouse said...

Jason's words gave me goosebumps. So glad you guys called on that guy. A friend was telling me a similar story a few weeks ago. Before that I didn't know what to do if I found myself in that kind of situation.

I have door issues with my kids too. They're not even allowed to shut a door if the baby is around. I'm TOTALLY paranoid about that.

Alyssa Phair said...

I remember getting my fingers slammed in the entry door of our house growing up. It looked disgusting too! And HURTS like crazy! Poor Glenn.

We've called on someone driving crazy-like before. Same type of story where we had to continue to follow the guy until the police caught up to him. We felt pretty good about it too. We weren't sure if he was drunk or texting but he was swerving and speeding/slowing at random rates. Good job for being a good citizen!

Annalise said...

My sister got pulled over for drunk driving once. She doesn't drink. Yup, that's how she drives.

Paige said...

'Member when that freakin' redhead girl named Katrina slammed my hand in that door backstage at my dance recital in Pennsylvania? Well, my middle finger sure was buh-roken! 'Member that? It was pretty sick. You could see right down to my bone! That's when I learned what the significance of the middle finger was 'cause I had a splint on my middle finger for a long time and could bend it along with all my other fingers. I was 5. I learned way too much way too early (thanks a lot, Corinne!) ;)

Paige said...

Oh yeah, and I called the BYU police on a bunch of idiot freshman boys who were trying to catch a duck at the botany pond. Does that make me a good citizen? The operator was very unimpressed when I said, "Yeah, so a bunch of idiot kids are trying to catch a duck down here." She said, "Have they been successful?" I was a little defensive, I know for a fact that BYU police cares about this--a bunch of my friends my freshman year got HUGE fines when they were caught doing the exact same thing! So I was trying to make my case, "well, no, but they obviously came prepared and have a sheet and are surrounding one, etc." Then she was confused and asked, "Wait, how old are they?" And I said, "Probably freshman or sophomores." And she laughed and I realized I had referred to them as kids and that she had thought I was referring to the hundreds of little kids that chase those ducks around all day long! We laughed and then she asked for more details and thanked me for calling in.

The funny thing is--I don't know why I bothered--I HATE birds and what do I care if one of them got hurt?! I don't really like those ducks, but I guess they're not as bad as real birds... So I guess I ultimately didn't want one of them to get hurt...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...