Ritz Bitz

Ritz Bitz

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Memorial Day


Memorial Day 2011
Jason had to work, which is very fitting for the holiday.  He takes care of our country's veteran's in their darkest hours.  He is an ICU nurse at the VA medical center.  This week he has been caring for a Vietnam War Veteran who is very near the end of his life.  It has been a very emotional week for him. 

While Jason was working, the kids and I put up the flag.  We then went to spend the day with my parents.

Two weeks ago, at my children's Elementary school, a Memorial garden was planted in honor of a student who had passed away a year and a half ago.  I will not print her name since this blog is not private, and I have not asked permission to do so.  I will just say this, my daughter was her classmate, and was present when she passed.  It was a very difficult time.  It is still difficult. 

Today there was a special memorial assembly and each class was able to take a turn to go out and visit the garden.  I went to the school this morning to make sure that Lily was OK.  When I walked in, there was a large, framed picture of Lily's friend in the entry and a pretty plant.  There was pretty music playing and I gotta say, I was overwhelmed.  I have gotten to know the parents a little bit, and having my daughter be the same age as theirs, it has hit a bit close to home.  I was fine till I got in my car to drive home. 

So, today I am emotional.  After listening to my husband tell me all about his patient last night, and then going to school this morning, I am emotional.  With that emotion comes a great sense of gratitude for this country, for those have fought for our Freedoms, and for my own wonderful little family.  I feel honored and blessed to be the mother of 5 gorgeous and healthy children.

I hope that your Memorial Day was wonderful and meaningful.

3 comments:

Cindy said...

What a great post. You said it all so well. I love the photo of the kids with the flag. Teaching patriotism and gratitude is a great thing. And what a great way to look at Jason being off at work on a school holiday! I love it.

Bailey said...

oh, thats really sad. for memorial day here, we went shooting. it was raining and totally beautiful. oh and we saw thor. awesome movie. your kids would LOVE it. also- i think it was actually pretty clean.

Brooke said...

That was beautiful... that story about that little girl always just breaks my heart. That's awesome they did a memorial garden for her... so sad though :( Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...