Ritz Bitz

Ritz Bitz

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

What can happen when you have too much fun?

In our Family Room we have a TV, like most Americans. 

On Sunday afternoon, while I was upstairs by myself feeling liking the cook/servant, my family was downstairs enjoying a Scripture Movie in the family room.  I was feeling more and more annoyed at the lack of help. 

 I went downstairs to round up the troops and found this.

A FORT!  A REALLY COOL FORT!!!  My husband and children were cuddled up inside with tons of blankets and pillows enjoying the movie.  It was too cute, and I decided not to disturb them, except for a few pictures.
(Take note of the hand weights across the top of the entertainment center holding up the fort.  They are important to this story.)



On Monday I should've gone down first thing and cleaned it all up.  But I decided not to.  I thought the kids might want to play in it a bit longer.  How often does dad make such a cool fort?  Harrison had a friend over and was bragging about his dad.  He said, "My dad can Build a FORT!  Can your dad build a fort?"  And his friend Jonathon said, "Well, my dad can build a HOUSE!  Can your dad build a house?"  That was a great come back for a five year old.  It shut Harrison up!

On Monday afternoon when the older kids got home they did want to watch a movie in the fort.  They did homework and practiced piano and then got snuggled up in the fort.  Harrison was really annoyed because he couldn't play in it with them watching a movie.  He was getting more and more extreme in how he could distract them.

It ended very badly.  Harrison pulled the fort down and smacked one of the hand weights into the screen,  The TV is now destroyed.  This is the TV that the kids use for Wii, and all their movie and TV watching.  This is what the TV looks like now.


It has been an important lesson to learn.  I think Lily and Max wanted to trade Harrison for a new TV right then and there.  They were angry.  After they calmed down they agreed that the TV is no big deal and we love Harrison more than the TV.  I am relieved that they came to that conclusion.

First thing after the older kids left this morning Harrison wanted to watch some cartoons.  Too bad Harrison, you broke the TV.  I think that was when he truly realized what he had done. 

Next time Dad offers to make a fort, I'm not sure how excited the kids will be about the idea.

7 comments:

smiliesar said...

Great fort...sad TV

Amanda Davis said...

You are a better mom then me... I would have wanted to trade the kid for a new tv. Not because I watch alot I really don't... but the cost. I just HATE paying for things that I already have that children break... we have had some VERY expensive lessons like that including a GARAGE DOOR! I enjoy your attitude and wish I could be more like that!

Hesses Madhouse said...

That fort was AMAZING! What a great time with their dad. You're a great mom for not taking it down. Glad they decided what they did for poor Harrison's sake. There are days that I'd worry for certain members of my household had something like this happened--"You are the weakest link...Good bye."

Bailey said...

that really sucks. haha, and i totally called it that lily and max would be the two angry ones in the story. also, does harrison ever take a break between destroying everthing and reeking havok on all mankind?

Cindy said...

You left out my favorite part of the story....that you got in your car by yourself and drove to my house! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

JA said...

It reminds me of when we bought our first brand new car and a child who shall remain nameless, proudly scratched her name, (Brooke) in big bold 4 year old letters on the side of our car... don't worry, you'll eventually get over it.. That was the worst car we ever had anyway..

Julia said...

So frustrating!

I kinda wish we didn't have a TV sometimes. The girls don't watch TV, so we hardly ever use it. We don't have DVR or anything like that, so we just watch shows on hulu.com if there's something we really want to watch, like Modern Family. We can watch movies on our computer too.

I say, move that entertainment center out, and make more room for forts :)

Still, Mama, I can't even imagine! You are an amazing, wonderful, patient mama!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...