In an effort to always be honest on my blog, I will admit that I have never read all they way through Jane Eyre. That is hard for me to admit. I tried reading it the Summer between my Sophomore and Junior years of HS. I ended up having way too much fun that Summer to get into the book.
On goodreads.com there is a challenge to read the book, Jane Eyre, and then go see the new Movie in theaters, by Focus Entertainment. (BTW - get on Goodreads if you're not on it already, and be my friend!) This last weekend Lily and I took half the challenge. We went and saw the movie.
Lily's love for Jane Eyre started when she was in Kindergarten! She was home sick one day from school and Jane Eyre was on TV. I was watching it, and she became completely absorbed. I was thrilled that my daughter at 5 years old could appreciate something like that.
This is the movie poster for 1996 version that Lily and I watched that day.
Over spring break Lily and I watched the 2006 Masterpiece Theater mini-series of Jane Eyre done on PBS. I've owned it for two years, and just now watched it. I am putting it on my "favorite things" list. It was Uhhhh-Mazing! It was 4 hours of Goodness! Lily and I both just stared at the screen when it ended at midnight. We wanted to watch it again, and right away!
We liked the Jane in this version much more. And even better, we liked this Mr. Rochester WAY more!! All in all, it was our favorite because it was a very thorough and detailed, very well acted out performance.
This last weekend Lily and I went into downtown Portland, which was fun in itself, to see Jane Eyre.
We went to the late night showing, so that might have affected our judgement. But, we really did like it. Maybe because we were fully expecting to be disappointed after just having watched the 4 hour detailed version the week before.
This screenplay was written from a different perspective, and I thought it worked. The story was told in a new way, and in the beginning that bugged me. In the end though I thought it was refreshing.
On the way home Lily begged me to let her read it. What do you think? She is a very good reader, but is it age appropriate for her? I am going to read it, and then I will decide. She has been asking me every day if I have started it yet.
If you are in the Portland area, and would like a friend to go see this movie with, then call me. I would gladly go again.




8 comments:
LETS GO! I"M IN. I am soo bummed I couldn't go when you invited me (thank you by the way). But i'm so happy to hear you have stellar remarks about it! ha ha.
And I LOVE That lily is so into it too. You know you have raised her right whenshe loves these classics!
take me!!!!!!!!!!! also, you should so let lily read it. but you should know, that we were required to read it for my ap lit class last year. so she may not get it all. but hey, let her try if she wants. i cant really remember anything that terrible in it...
I saw it this weekend too. I thought it was good although I missed some of the dialogue from the book. The ending was a little abrupt too. But I really thought Mr. Rochester and Jane's chemistry was great.
Yes, Lily is ready to read it. I think it would be lovely for you to read together!
Jane Eyre seems to be an old fashioned, only slightly more realistic version of Twilight. A good looking, powerful, rich guy for some reason falls for a not as good looking, awkward, poor girl. And everyone's okay with that... except, of course, for priests and werewolves.
Yes, like Jamey said, the ending was VERY abrupt!
Jack, I love ya, but you are a dork! You need to know that.
I think that Bailey could totally handle the level of reading that Jane Eyre is at. I was wondering if she is old enough and mature enough to read it for the emotional level that it is. I will not let her read the Twilight books (this is just one example I though Jack would like) because of the emotional maturity in the development of Edward and Bella's relationship. I let her see the movies because their relationship does not develope the same way, or to the same level that it does in the books.
So, I, like you, didn't finish the book, so I can't judge about the appropriateness, but if your mom says yes, then I'm right behind her cuz your mom is AWESOME! Heck, if she says yes, then maybe I should try it again.
Oh, yes, you were right on my adopted mom. I spent the day there yesterday ironing tablecloths, and I have to tell you, she thinks you're AMAZING! She was so excited to have YOU at her house last night.
Also, I hope it's okay, but I put you on my sidebar, so I can come here and read about your lovely life more often.
The book has been a favorite of mine since I was 16! I love Jane Eyre!
Post a Comment