Ritz Bitz

Ritz Bitz

Friday, April 8, 2011

John Glenn

Glenn had to read a biography or autobiography for a book report.  He wanted to do Abraham Lincoln or George Washington at first.  I thought that at least 3 other kids in his class would be doing those figures.  I took Glenn to the library and we searched through many books before he decided he wanted to learn more about John Glenn. 

In the beginning he had NO clue who John Glenn was.  He had never heard of him.  I told him what I knew, and Glenn got really excited.  He loved reading the book and told me he was so glad that he chose John Glenn.  He was a pilot in WW2, he was an astronaut, he was a Senator and the oldest man to ever go into outer space!!! 
For the book report he had to dress up like the person he read about and do a speech.  Any extra projects they did on top of that would be extra credit.  He made a bi-plane, like the one John Glenn learned to fly, when he was young pilot. 
The costume part was a very stressful thing for me.  I was the one who, of course, had to figure all that out.  I went to several second hand shops in the area and ended up with some big black boots, an orange hooded sweatshirt and a motorcycle helmet.  I then printed off some American flags and NASA emblems off the Internet and then used packing tape to attach them to the orange hoodie.


Now the motorcycle helmet is a favorite thing for the boys to fight over.  The poor helmet has had to go into hiding a few times.
Harrison, picking his nose in the helmet.

Harrison and Max - taking turns

Harrison, Maxwell and Glenn


4 comments:

Bailey said...

oh my gosh. i miss those kids already. i loved the costume!!

Cindy said...

HAHAHA..that was the BEST! Great "sharing" pictures. :) Was Glenn happy with his costume? Good job, it looks great!

Kylie said...

seriously, that costume was awesome!!!

Hesses Madhouse said...

Ah! The good ol' helmet. Gannon went through a helmet phase. We couldn't get him to take off his bicycle helmet. I even think there was a night when he went to bed in it. I finally decided I had to take a stand when people started to feel pity for my son that HAD to wear a helmet.

Love the bi-plane!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...