Ritz Bitz

Ritz Bitz

Friday, April 8, 2011

Sunshine, a Walk and a Near Death.

Last Friday we had GORGEOUS weather here in Portland.  We were all in a super good mood, it was the weekend, the sun was shining and our neighbors even had a lemonade stand going.

Lily had a friend over and all the kids were playing outside.  Our poor doggy and poor Bennett really wanted to go outside too.  So, instead of making dinner and cleaning my house we went on a LONG walk.  We were gone for 2 1/2 hours.  We went to the park and played, then had a long walk back just as it was starting to drizzle on us. 

When we were first leaving the house, Maxwell had his basketball with him.  He refused to leave it.  I told him to leave it at least 3 times. (I tend to lose track after 2 times.) He promised he would carry it the whole way.  We set out down the hill to get out of our neighborhood with a baby in a stroller, a dog on a leash, 5 walking kids and 1 CRAZY mama.

Max started dribbling his basketball going down the hill.  I told him DO NOT dribble the ball at all, you will lose it!  We made it down the hill to the busy road.  Our street is at the bottom of a huge, long, steep hill that cars fly down, even though it only 35 MPH.  There is no sidewalk, and a small shoulder.  I was on the shoulder with dog and stroller.  I told the kids to walk on the grass. 

This next part happened really fast, I heard a basketball behind me dribbling, I spun around to tell him to STOP dribbling and get on the grass.  Right as I turned I saw the ball roll out into busy afternoon traffic and Max chase after it.  I SCREAMED!!!!!  At the same time Max, in the middle of the lane stopped, as his brain caught up to what he was doing, a car screeched and swerved, missing my little boy by about 3 feet.  It was THE MOST TERRIFYING experience.  I felt like time had stopped and it was either going to stay stopped or after a pause keep on ticking by.  Thank Heavens time was able to resume!!  We were only 5 minutes or less into our walk, and I almost turned around right then and there. 

We did carry on and ended up having a very nice and exhausting time.  I will admit to breaking down and crying a few times throughout the walk.  I was so grateful to that driver for paying enough attention and being able to slam and swerve at just the right moment.  I was so grateful to my Father in Heaven for protecting us.  I hope Max learned a valuable lesson and will listen to his mother better from now on.


Bennett loved the swings at the park.  Obviously.  He did like them better when Harrison wasn't around to grab at him.




Bennett's first swing ride.  Halfway between delight and terror!



Once he got the hang of it, he was all delight!



The long walk home!
Bennett kept grabbing Karl's leash.  I guess he wanted his turn to walk the dog.



6 comments:

Cindy said...

I did NOT like that story about Max! What did you do with his ball after that? I would have grabbed it and chucked it as far as I could into the woods.
I think I could watch Bennett swing and squeal all day long.
Tell me the kids all slept well that night!

Corinne Ritz said...

I shoved it under the stroller. Luckily I had the stroller with the big net thing underneath. And yes, the kids did sleep GREAT that night. Harrison stayed in his bed ALL night!

The Allreds said...

what a heart-stopping moment!!! so glad Max is safe and sound! Sara choked on some chicken this last year and her face turned purple. so I can totally relate! it's one of the worst feelings in the world! so glad and thankful for tender mercies!!

Kylie said...

I liked the first video of Bennett on the swing, because you totally captured this split second of pure horror on his face, hahah. I laughed pretty hard and then watched it again and again.

Alyssa Phair said...

Corinne, your mom is hilarious. I would've been torn between yelling and crying! I probably would've chucked the ball as well. What a nice mom for continuing the trip anyway! Sounds like you had fun, after the "incident".

Hesses Madhouse said...

Yup. I'm a ball chucker too. Darn! SCARY stuff! So glad it all turned out okay.

Swing video is DARLING! Your kids are so darned cute!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...