Hello readers. I haven't posted any of my favorite things in a while. I have been wanting to post about my new favorite show airing on Masterpiece Theater on PBS here in America. The show was originally meant to be just a miniseries, but got such high ratings that it turned into a 3 season show. I read this review on a blog authored by some adorable college girls (sisters) who used to babysit my kids. Here is what Julia wrote in RED. The original post can be found here.
So I'm a little obsessed with Downton Abbey. Period. I could just end there. I know you're all into your "Office" or "Modern Family" or whatever is out there on TV, but I much prefer British shows for some reason....hmmm I guess that was no surprise.
I got hooked on this show while I was at the Vances (the misses Lewis older sister is Mrs. Vance:) over the summer. I got really sick and couldn't do anything except lie in bed and watch shows or sleep. I had access to their netflix account and watched the entire first season in less than 24 hours. I loved it. Almost a little too much. I was so excited to hear that the second season was going to be coming out in September but only in England. Thank heavens for online streaming video. Over this last semester my roommate and I would get pumped to watch it together every Sunday as our treat to ourselves. As Emily (the younger Miss Lewis) would say it, it's a "treat yourself" day. :) The writers were so good to leave us on the edge that after the episode they would always show a preview of the next one, and I believed we screamed every time because we're like "what?!" we have to wait another week to find out what happens!
That being said, tonight was awesome because they had a Christmas special as an extension to the end of the second season and it was tight like unto a dish! Mom and Dad even joined in. Emily and I have already watched the ending several times because it was that good (we even compared it to the ending of North and South so that's saying something if you know what I mean! ;) Pretty darn fantastic but it's a bummer that we'll have to wait for the last season next September. UGH! So, I'll just have to keep watching the 1st season and parts of the 2nd (I will have to admit the second season was not my fav. and definitely not as good so most of my praising is about the first season really...sorry it sounds contradicting, but really not..haha... Let's just say it was overdramatic, and you wanted to throw things at the characters sometimes).
Oh yeah the first season even made it into the World Records Books. It's the biggest TV show to hit Britain with the most views for one show in over 12 years.
The basis of the story is the interweaving story of the Crawley family living in Highclaire Castle and their servants down below but of course there's a lot more to it....(oh yeah and it's got Maggie Smith in it...need I say more?!)
I'm just saying that if you're ever bored this holiday, check it out!
When I read this post I about died, because I have been waiting very impatiently for them to air the second season the the USA. To make things even more unbearable, Entertainment weekly printed this photo heavy article about the series last week. It made me drool (as the younger Miss Lewis would say:)
Julia, who wrote the above post sent me the link so I could watch the second season, plus special Christmas episode. Are you ready? Here it is!
As a side note - My husband loves Downton Abbey as well. He has watched all of it with me. Also, my dad and both of my brothers are way into it. This is not just for the ladies:)
Or if you would rather, catch up with just the first season using the same link, or on neflix. Just do it soon, because the second season is officially airing in the USA starting this Sunday! January 8th on PBS!
Thanks for reading about my favorite things. I can't wait to hear from you!


6 comments:
I am so excited!!! I love this show!
AH MAN! I have already watched like every episode twice, but i think i'm going to re watch again tomorrow! On Monday And Tuesday I didn;t come out of my bedroom because i was so consumed in watching DA. I I only came out for food and to use the loo. WOW. I hadn't seeen those photos before. that is absolutely brilliant! LOVED LOVED LOVED this post. for two reasons a) well thats pretty obvious why, b) because basically anything you love,...i love! so we're golden! :)
Did you know that we got Jackson watching them this week? I think we got through 3 before he left for drill in Utah....he watched another one there but now he is very upset with Bates. :)
I need to get with it and catch up on DA. Fun to see your cute family and your fun blog!
What fun...I can't wait to watch them. I'm going to try and get Kevin to watch them with me too since he LOVES British shows.
I am beaming with excitement. I had no idea this even existed! This is totally my kind of show! Netflix here I come. Thanks for the info. Also I have thoroughly enjoyed looking through your posts. Your kids are beautiful and have grown so much.
Post a Comment