A month ago I had to take the 3 hour fast, glucose test in my Dr.'s office for Gestational Diabetes. I ate an orange and a small bowl of Multi Grain Cheerios. I then fasted for four hours, not three. I took the test and my blood-sugar level was 15 over the limit! UGH!!! Jason told me that eating an orange was the the last thing I should've eaten. Well, thanks for saying that when you saw me eating it!
This is the third pregnancy I've had to go to the hospital lab and take the 12 hour fasting, 3 hour with 3 blood draws test. It is a miserable test. The last 2 times I had to do this was bad enough, but the results were normal and fine. This time they were not. My first blood draw, after fasting for 12 hours, was slightly too high. The next two were down to normal. So, I don't have gestational diabetes, but my doc told me to be careful, and eat a diabetic diet as much as possible.
My Doctor said gestational diabetes is more prevalent in subsequent pregnancies, and is also affected by the mother's age. As I am quickly approaching 34 years of age, I am really glad this is our last baby! Jason's mom had him (#6) at age 36. She had gestational diabetes with him, and after he was born it never went away! My mom had her #7 when she was my age, and she also had borderline gestational diabetes in that pregnancy. I never knew that till today! I hope things turn out as well for me as they did for my mom.
Also this week, I took Bennett in for his two year check up.
| Hiding under the exam table after his shot. |
He is in the 80th % for height, and the 50th % for weight. Our pediatrician said that he will be tall and slim like his daddy. He needed only one shot for Hep A. He has been sick lately, but no fever. The Doctor noticed that he had an ear infection in his left ear. Oh NO! I've been using essential oils, and he's only been getting sicker. So this is why I gladly took the prescription for antibiotics. I was looking forward to a better night's sleep as well.
The better night's sleep didn't really happen too much. Harrison's cough and congestion was getting worse and worse. I was starting to get this sinking feeling that he was going to need to see a Doctor. He couldn't be seen on Saturday. On Sunday I stayed home with the two little sicko's. On Monday we finally got into the doctor. Also, our dryer broke that day. We sat in the Doctor's office for almost 2 hours. Turns out that my suspicions were right. Harrison has Pneumonia!
Over this last weekend I realized/learned two things -
1. Harrison is the whiniest, most annoying sick person I've ever known. I feel bad for his future wife.
2. I am not going to bother wearing make up again until after this baby is born. Four days in a row I cried it all off by noon, so what is the point?
In my efforts to "look up", and see the broader picture along with the blessings I have been given, I have noticed some great things as well.
~We got to celebrate Bennett's second birthday. Even though he was sick, he was a blast to watch. He enjoyed the celebration so much!
~Harrison setting up a huge battle on the dining room table Sunday morning. The 'blue' guys, who are little police men, were the 'BAD' guys! It was SO funny to be in the kitchen listening to his sound effects, and conversations between all the 'guys'.
~I've noticed lately that at least once a day Maxwell comes in behind me, usually I'm in the kitchen, and he grabs me and hugs me so tight. I turn around and then he kisses my belly. That kid has the most tender heart! He can be so rough and tumble, and I love that he still needs his Mama's love.
~Always during the most stressful time of my day is when Glenn decides to practice his trumpet. It's always different depending on the day. I have realized that this is when he is also the most stressed out. This is what he does to blow off steam. It was really starting to get under my skin till I realized it was relaxing him. Now I just laugh, because it is so ironic and funny to me.
~When the dryer broke, I pushed 7 loads through the washing machine, then took it all to the laundry mat after Jason got home, to dry it all. Lily came with me and we had so much fun together, doing laundry. I am so grateful for that daughter of mine.
~I realized this week, that even though I am borderline diabetic, I am off of all other med's. During the last three pregnancies I've dealt with really bad anxiety and prenatal depression. It's gotten bad enough that I've chosen to take medication for it during pregnancy. Usually at the point where I am now, it is way bad. I am not even seeing or feeling signs of it this time!!! I completely forgot that this was even an issue for me in the past until I saw an article about prenatal and postpartum depression this week. I thought, "OH YEAH! I have that! Why am I not on meds right now? Huh, I'm not feeling that way, and I usually am!" I was so excited by this realization!
~For a second this morning, as I was laying in bed with Bennett, looking at books, I wondered if his early childhood memories will be filled with a lazy mom in the background. Right after I thought that, he turned and kissed me on the lips. I then thought that No, he'll just remember how much fun it was to cuddle with mom so much.
3 comments:
I love all the stories. Although, I am going to make my kids choose quiet instruments...like the drums...or the trombone. Something peaceful. :)
Oh, my goodness - what a crazy week. I hate those glucose tests - they always stress me out. I hope everyone is feeling better soon. I love Harrison's battle, and also Bennett's fun cake - my kids would love that.
dryer broken,,, been there done that.. Love your stories. It's the only way that I can feel like we are still close even though we are so far away..
Post a Comment