This year for Christmas I really wanted to make some homemade gifts for the kids. Last year I was given a nice new sewing machine that actually works! I thought this would be a good time to use it! I came up with some great ideas, and they were all a huge hit! So, in this post, I want to brag about myself for a bit:)
Hair Accessory Board
My friend Brenda has her own business in which she makes the cutest hair clips and bows. She is willing to come over and do a 'party' at your house. All the guests get to come, pay a very small amount and make clips and bows. She is a very good teacher. I've gone to two of these instructional parties, and made several really cute hair clips for Lily. I also bought some that Brenda had there on hand.
As Christmas got closer I made this awesome hair clip board. Once again, I got great ideas from Brenda one how to do it. I found this cute picture frame at Ross, and got the fabric and ribbon at Joanne's Fabrics.
I found some quilt batting in one of my old sewing project boxes.
I used the card board that came in the frame, and put the glass away to use for something else. I covered the cardboard with batting then the fabric. The fabric came over the edge about a 1/2 inch. I used a stapler to hold it all down. I then criss-crossed the ribbon, weaving it in and out then stapling the edges. I then had fun clipping all the cute new hair bows onto the 'Hair Accessory Board.' I wrapped it in a large shirt or robe box.
Lily LOVES it. It now hangs in her bathroom.
Flannel Heating Pads
Many years ago, for Christmas, my mother in law made and gave me a heating pad filled with rice. I really loved it till I burned a hole in it one day by cooking it in the microwave too long. Lily is close to having to deal with cramps (that's what I loved using my heating pad for the most), and Maxwell gets really bad growing pains in his legs. Glenn is always cold, and Harrison likes to sleep with a stuffed animal. Joanne's Fabric had a 75% off Cotton Flannel sale a month before Christmas. You have to use 100% cotton for this project in order for it to be safe in the microwave.
I used a 1/4 yard for each heating pad. I folded each piece, right sides together, then sewed a straight line across the bottom and up the opposite side of the folded side. I left the top open. I then divided it into 4 equal part and sewed straight lines almost to the top to make compartments for equal distribution of the rice.
Next I filled one compartment at a time with about 1 1/2 cups of uncooked white rice. (I bought a 25 lb. bag from Costco to use for this project.) After each compartment was filled, I would fold in the top, open edges, and sew across the top. The key was to do one compartment at a time. I ended up making a total of 7 heating pads for my 4 older kids, my two nephews, and Lily's friend.
They have been a huge hit! Each heating pad cost about $2 to make, and have been more than worth it. I know that my nephews use theirs every night. My kids also use theirs nightly, and sometimes during the day. Jason has joked about why we bothered to get them anything else.
As Christmas got closer I made this awesome hair clip board. Once again, I got great ideas from Brenda one how to do it. I found this cute picture frame at Ross, and got the fabric and ribbon at Joanne's Fabrics.
I found some quilt batting in one of my old sewing project boxes.
I used the card board that came in the frame, and put the glass away to use for something else. I covered the cardboard with batting then the fabric. The fabric came over the edge about a 1/2 inch. I used a stapler to hold it all down. I then criss-crossed the ribbon, weaving it in and out then stapling the edges. I then had fun clipping all the cute new hair bows onto the 'Hair Accessory Board.' I wrapped it in a large shirt or robe box.
Lily LOVES it. It now hangs in her bathroom.
Flannel Heating Pads
Many years ago, for Christmas, my mother in law made and gave me a heating pad filled with rice. I really loved it till I burned a hole in it one day by cooking it in the microwave too long. Lily is close to having to deal with cramps (that's what I loved using my heating pad for the most), and Maxwell gets really bad growing pains in his legs. Glenn is always cold, and Harrison likes to sleep with a stuffed animal. Joanne's Fabric had a 75% off Cotton Flannel sale a month before Christmas. You have to use 100% cotton for this project in order for it to be safe in the microwave.
I used a 1/4 yard for each heating pad. I folded each piece, right sides together, then sewed a straight line across the bottom and up the opposite side of the folded side. I left the top open. I then divided it into 4 equal part and sewed straight lines almost to the top to make compartments for equal distribution of the rice.
Next I filled one compartment at a time with about 1 1/2 cups of uncooked white rice. (I bought a 25 lb. bag from Costco to use for this project.) After each compartment was filled, I would fold in the top, open edges, and sew across the top. The key was to do one compartment at a time. I ended up making a total of 7 heating pads for my 4 older kids, my two nephews, and Lily's friend.
They have been a huge hit! Each heating pad cost about $2 to make, and have been more than worth it. I know that my nephews use theirs every night. My kids also use theirs nightly, and sometimes during the day. Jason has joked about why we bothered to get them anything else.
2 comments:
Cori----love the accessory board! I think you could wedge pictures the ribbon too. Love it! Pinning it!
i used to have like eight of those, and i have no freaking idea what happend to them. will you make me some.
Post a Comment