Ritz Bitz

Ritz Bitz

Monday, May 21, 2012

The Itchy and Scratchy Show

Over the last few weeks I have had the theme song from "The Itchy and Scratchy Show" from the Simpsons running through my head.  Let me tell you why - 

After getting home with Theo the real work began.  I was so blessed to have both my mom and Jason here to help me.  

In the hospital a rash had started on my incision.  Within a few days of getting home my whole entire body broke out in hives.  They got worse and worse every day.  By the third day home the hives were on the bottoms of my feet, and on the palms of my hands, and EVERY where.  It was the most miserable experience to itch like that 24/7, on top of the C-Section recovery, dealing with a newborn and nursing.  I have never been so out of commission, or for this long, after a baby.  

Jason was so on top of things for me.  He is an excellent nurse, I can tell you, as I have been his number one patient for the last four weeks now.  He was often calling my doctor, requesting different drugs, requesting a dermatologist etc.  He took me to all my visits and spoke to all the Dr.'s.  I was SO out of it.  I am grateful that he was there to be my advocate throughout this whole ordeal.  

While the Doctors were trying to figure out what was happening with me, Jason took control of.  He called my Dr. and asked for a different pain killer.  He had me go off the Percoset and got me some Vicadin.  He diagnosed me himself as having a drug reaction to Percoset which caused the hives.  When I finally got in to a dermatologist, they did a biopsy.  It came back as being an allergic reaction to drugs.  By this point I was on steroids, and allergy meds - all because of Jason.  I was doing so much better.  

After Jason took steps to change the things he thought were causing the problems, I slowly got better every day.  I am so very blessed to have that man in my life.  He is really good at taking care of his family.

Soon after getting home from the hospital.  In my bed with Theo and my mom.

I was so happy to have my friend Tracey stop by after I got home from the hospital.  She wasn't able to come see us in the hospital.  She is a great friend.  Her two boys are Glenn's age, and a little younger than Lily.  Adam, her second son, came with her to meet Theo.  I adore Adam.  I have known him since he was about 4 or 5.  He always has loved my babies.  He was really attached to Harrison as a newborn, and when Bennett was born he asked me all the time if he could babysit.  One day Tracey called and said that Adam would not leave her alone about babysitting baby Bennett.  Her and Adam babysat Bennett for us so we could take the older kids to a movie.

Adam and Theo

One morning, after having hives for several days, I woke up and found that I had HUGE lips.  I was laughing SO hard.  The next morning after that they were even bigger.  I wasn't laughing anymore because the skin on and around my lips was cracked and oozing.  It was just too much.

HIVES




Looking back at these pictures I am even more grateful that this part is over!  

I am now off the steroids, but this week my lips have started to puff back up.  I can feel the itch coming back on the backs of my legs.  I am bruised from scratching so much.  I am hoping and praying the hives stay away forever!

7 comments:

AJ said...

Did you react to it ever before? Or is this time the first time they gave you Percoset. Weird! Sucks to deal with that after having a baby!

Julia said...

Praise God for a husband who can advocate for you in the medical world! What a blessing!

Hives are just so terrible! I can't imagine having them postpartum AND after surgery. My goodness! From this post, and yesterday's Theo's birth story is certainly eventful! Guess he wanted to make sure that he made is presence known :)

SO glad you're finally feeling better.

Meredith Williams said...

Oh my goodness, how crazy. Recovery is bad enough and then on top of that breaking out in hives, that's so miserable!
Hope your recovery goes smoothly from here on out!

Lisa Fox said...

Ahhh, that sounds so awful. You poor thing. I can't even imagine having that to deal with too. Just reading your post made me feel so grateful for your sweet husband. What a blessing to have him and your mom. Heavenly Father really knew what he was doing with you two!

Bailey said...

AHHHHH! OH MY GOSH! you seriously just ruined my life.

Michelle said...

Oh Corrine. So fun to read this blog, to read the details of Theo's birth. I so wish I was there and could come and eat him up for lunch. You are so wonderful, you are just so real. I adore you and miss you and am sending you a big hug. Those feet pictures really are the sweetest thing ever.

L.E. said...

Corinne I think you just must be superwoman. I seriously hope you are feeling better!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...