Life was instantly crazy after getting home from vacation. The next morning I had to get up early and get Max to Cub Scout Day camp. It really stunk not getting to sleep in.
A big part of our Summer's is picking and canning fruits and veggies. I completely missed the Oregon Strawberry season, which is a HUGE deal for us. That has NEVER happened before. I was too busy at the end of the school year, with a newborn and all, to get the strawberries picked and jammed. By the time we got back from Denver they were done!
I know I sound crazy to a lot of people, so let me assure you, I did not go picking berries our first day back. We went the second day we were back, and again on the fourth day.
Our first picking trip we focused on raspberries, since their season is almost done. The farm we went to also had a special variety of Blackberries that were ready. Living in Oregon, I hate ever having to pay for blackberries, since they grow wild and free all over. At the farm all berries and cherries were $1/lb. U-Pick, and the blackberries were HUGE. I really love the variety.
Max was at camp, and Harrison was at a birthday party.
These are my three awesome pickers.
Later in the week when we went back we had Harrison and daddy with us. Harrison and Max were both upset that we had picked without them. In fact, Max came home from camp on Tuesday, saw the bowls of berries and started yelling, "You do ALL the FUN STUFF WITHOUT ME!!!!" Needless to say he was really tired, and fell asleep before dinner. Though, I am glad that my children enjoy the picking and canning as much as I do.
On our second trip we picked Blackberries, Raspberries, Loganberries, and Cherries.
Bennett did really well picking the good berries. He thought it was so much fun, though I'm pretty sure he ate more than what he put in the bowl.
Once he realized that daddy was off picking somewhere else he just wanted to be with him, especially since he was on a ladder. Jason picked the Sour Pie Cherries for me, while the kids and I picked the berries. I honestly didn't pick many myself because Theo was being so fussy.
I tried to bring Bennett back the berry fields with me and the kids.
He did NOT want to come.
He slid out of my hands and ran back to daddy. I was carrying Theo, so it was difficult.
The day I got back from Denver I started to develop another strange rash, this time on my hands. This made life miserable as it got worse each day. It's now almost 3 weeks later, and I still have some minor signs of it. The rash made it impossible to do any canning. I cleaned and froze the berries to make into jam a later date. I had no choice but to can the cherries. I cleaned them, Max pitted them, and then I canned them.
One hour of Jason picking Cherries gave us 4 quarts.
A big part of our Summer's is picking and canning fruits and veggies. I completely missed the Oregon Strawberry season, which is a HUGE deal for us. That has NEVER happened before. I was too busy at the end of the school year, with a newborn and all, to get the strawberries picked and jammed. By the time we got back from Denver they were done!
I know I sound crazy to a lot of people, so let me assure you, I did not go picking berries our first day back. We went the second day we were back, and again on the fourth day.
Our first picking trip we focused on raspberries, since their season is almost done. The farm we went to also had a special variety of Blackberries that were ready. Living in Oregon, I hate ever having to pay for blackberries, since they grow wild and free all over. At the farm all berries and cherries were $1/lb. U-Pick, and the blackberries were HUGE. I really love the variety.
Max was at camp, and Harrison was at a birthday party.
These are my three awesome pickers.
Later in the week when we went back we had Harrison and daddy with us. Harrison and Max were both upset that we had picked without them. In fact, Max came home from camp on Tuesday, saw the bowls of berries and started yelling, "You do ALL the FUN STUFF WITHOUT ME!!!!" Needless to say he was really tired, and fell asleep before dinner. Though, I am glad that my children enjoy the picking and canning as much as I do.
On our second trip we picked Blackberries, Raspberries, Loganberries, and Cherries.
Bennett did really well picking the good berries. He thought it was so much fun, though I'm pretty sure he ate more than what he put in the bowl.
Once he realized that daddy was off picking somewhere else he just wanted to be with him, especially since he was on a ladder. Jason picked the Sour Pie Cherries for me, while the kids and I picked the berries. I honestly didn't pick many myself because Theo was being so fussy.
I tried to bring Bennett back the berry fields with me and the kids.
He did NOT want to come.
He slid out of my hands and ran back to daddy. I was carrying Theo, so it was difficult.
The day I got back from Denver I started to develop another strange rash, this time on my hands. This made life miserable as it got worse each day. It's now almost 3 weeks later, and I still have some minor signs of it. The rash made it impossible to do any canning. I cleaned and froze the berries to make into jam a later date. I had no choice but to can the cherries. I cleaned them, Max pitted them, and then I canned them.
One hour of Jason picking Cherries gave us 4 quarts.
2 comments:
I LOVE LOVE LOVE picking berries. I am hating not living close to a place to do that. Virginia had so many places to go it was the best. Chicago not so much in that dept. :) WOW your cherries look amazing and so do the other berries. I'm so sorry about your hands and the rash. That is just so crazy and so frustrating. I'm glad it's getting better but geez could it hurry up now? :)
Those berries are just beautiful! You are fortunate to live where they are so bountiful! I'm impressed that you do your own canning! I'm too chicken----I just freeze everything. Thank goodness for the deep freezer :)
Do you have a sling, or baby carrier for Theo? Would he tolerate one? Maybe that would make outings like this a little easier? IDK---just a thought. I would have never gotten anything done without mine! The girls rode around in it till they were well over a year.
Post a Comment