Jason's work schedule is heavier every other week. On his busy week it can be hard to do family fun day with all of us. One Saturday the kids had realized we never had a family fun day the whole week! As luck would have it, it was the Saturday that Jason was working.
It was super hot, so we decided to go to Blue Lake Park. There is a splash pad for the little kids, and the lake for the older kids.
It was super hot, so we decided to go to Blue Lake Park. There is a splash pad for the little kids, and the lake for the older kids.
First we went to the store to get a few snacky things. At the check out I told them they could each choose a candy bar. This happens about twice a year so they were THRILLED! I wish I had been taping them for the reaction. Harrison immediately found the biggest one he could find, and it cost about $1.50. I told them it had to cost 68 cents, that was the cheapest price, for the average sized candy bars. Harrison found a Dove Bar (he has good taste), and asked me if it was 68 cents. I said, "Sorry, no. It's 88 cents." Harry got upset and said, "It's not an IDIOT!" I laughed and repeated, "I said 88! NOT Idiot!"
When we turned the corner on the road where Blue Lake was, we found a LONG line of cars waiting to get into the park. UH-OH! What was I thinking?!? It was a Saturday, a HOT Saturday! We were not the only family who thought Blue Lake was a good idea. After waiting, and eating our packed lunch in the car, for 15 minutes, I turned around and left.
You can imagine all the whining and crying I heard from the back of the van. I was trying to come up with a new game plan.... quickly. I thought of other parks with beaches, and rivers etc. None of them are as nice or safe as Blue Lake, and I was all by myself with the kids. I was too nervous to try something like that. The risk is too high.
We ended up going to another Splash Park in a town close to us. My kids were so bummed. My older kids said it was LAME! I agree it is a lame park, but it was less lame than coming home and setting up our little wading pool.
On the way we listened to more of our Summer Audio Book, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. We also had a great conversation about Max's upcoming birthday. Harrison was acting more and more tired and cranky as we drove. In the middle of all this he whined loudly, "Will my birthday always be on Thanksgiving?" (His birthday will always be the week of Thanksgiving, and sometimes on the actual day of.) When I said, "Yes." He let out a loud wail, "WAAHHHH!!!!" The rest of us just started laughing. It was really funny. How tired can you be Harrison? You're crying out loud over when your birthday is! Oh, and yeah, he yelled at me earlier for calling a candy bar an 'idiot'!
I'm happy to say that once we got to the park, and unloaded, we ended up having a really wonderful time. We were able to cool off in the water, and play and enjoy our togetherness.
Happy Family Fun Day!
Yummy cold grapes!
Bennett had fun rolling around in, and drinking from this puddle. I did TRY very hard to stop him from drinking this water. Don't judge!
Glenn took tons of pictures of Bennett running around. Here are a couple that I thought were funny...or good.
Theo was so happy when we got home... to the air conditioning!
When we turned the corner on the road where Blue Lake was, we found a LONG line of cars waiting to get into the park. UH-OH! What was I thinking?!? It was a Saturday, a HOT Saturday! We were not the only family who thought Blue Lake was a good idea. After waiting, and eating our packed lunch in the car, for 15 minutes, I turned around and left.
You can imagine all the whining and crying I heard from the back of the van. I was trying to come up with a new game plan.... quickly. I thought of other parks with beaches, and rivers etc. None of them are as nice or safe as Blue Lake, and I was all by myself with the kids. I was too nervous to try something like that. The risk is too high.
We ended up going to another Splash Park in a town close to us. My kids were so bummed. My older kids said it was LAME! I agree it is a lame park, but it was less lame than coming home and setting up our little wading pool.
On the way we listened to more of our Summer Audio Book, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. We also had a great conversation about Max's upcoming birthday. Harrison was acting more and more tired and cranky as we drove. In the middle of all this he whined loudly, "Will my birthday always be on Thanksgiving?" (His birthday will always be the week of Thanksgiving, and sometimes on the actual day of.) When I said, "Yes." He let out a loud wail, "WAAHHHH!!!!" The rest of us just started laughing. It was really funny. How tired can you be Harrison? You're crying out loud over when your birthday is! Oh, and yeah, he yelled at me earlier for calling a candy bar an 'idiot'!
Happy Family Fun Day!
Yummy cold grapes!
Bennett had fun rolling around in, and drinking from this puddle. I did TRY very hard to stop him from drinking this water. Don't judge!
Glenn took tons of pictures of Bennett running around. Here are a couple that I thought were funny...or good.
Theo was so happy when we got home... to the air conditioning!

2 comments:
OH my gosh Corinne! That was WONDERFUL to read and really brought me back to summers in America! Ahhh... sigh... Thank you so much for posting! I miss you all so much, I just can't stop thinking about how happy I would be if you all could visit me... It looks like you all had a fun day :)
What I love is that you just go, and have fun with your kids. I'm so hesitant to mess up the girls' schedule that I often will pass on things like this in order to keep us on track.
You're such a fun mom!
Post a Comment