Ritz Bitz

Ritz Bitz

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Restore and Renew

The kids went back to school almost two months ago!  Life picked up and I often end my days feeling as though I have run a marathon.  

I have a birthday coming this next week.  As I was thinking about this the other day I had a moment where I decided that I need to do better.  In the middle of running my daily marathon I seem to have misplaced my priorities.  Isn't it funny how we can feel the need to set goals, and change our ways when faced with the New Year, or a change of seasons or a birthday?  Well, maybe this is just me.  

I feel like I have been in a haze ever since Theo was born.  Well, he turns 6 months old this week as well.  This realization made me feel the need even more to try and slow down, focus and enjoy the small and important moments.  

One thing that will help me do this is keeping up with this blog.  I always think about the funny things my kids say and do, and all the special things in my life when I record them here.

In the middle of thinking about this I found this POST on another mom's blog.  I really love her ideas.  Here is the summary for you, and my own thoughts.  You have to go to her blog and check out the full details of her list.  Your time will not be wasted!

She lists 7 Motherhood ideas that she loves.

1. Movie Night - We had a movie night tonight!  I even made cookies like she suggested!  It was a huge hit!  My kids thought I rocked, and I am telling you that they have not thought that for awhile!   
Molasses Cookies (gingerbread) and Hocus Pocus to get us in a Halloween mood.  It was awesome!

2. Personal interviews with your kids.  I tried this one out yesterday with Harrison. He really took to it.  It's been awhile since I've consciously asked him about his day, and really cared about his answers.  

3.  Lunch Dates.  My kids are going to love this one!  I've had this idea before, but I've never done it on a regular basis.

4.  Mother's Day Letters.  I decided a long time ago that Mother's Day is really for my kids, not me.  They usually love that day way more than I do.  I love that this mom writes a love letter to each child on Mother's day!  What a fantastic way to observe that holiday!

5.  Happies and Sads.  This is one I have done a lot with my younger children.  I think I should do this more with my older kids.  

6.  Late Nights.  Honestly, this is not one that will work for our family.  My nights are mine and Jason's time, and there would be way too many issues if we tried doing this.  It is a fun idea however, and maybe it is a good one for you.

7.  Clean Ten.  Awesome idea.  I often find myself, in the crazy hours between school getting out and bedtime, desperately needing to restore some kind of order.  Nothing is better than the whole family working together.  I think I might change the meaning of Clean Ten to mean 10 minutes rather than 10 items.


Here's to hoping that one week from now I will be feeling a little more sane, and a little more connected to my children. 

What things do you do in your home, and with your family that help you be able to enjoy life?  I would love to hear your ideas. 

2 comments:

Julia said...

I wouldn't sacrifice nights either, Cori. That's our time----girls in bed by 7:30 is our rule. Of course that will change as they get older, but still----the evenings our ours!

Maybe this is the same thing as the Happies and Sads (???) we do Highs and Lows (something I used to do with my college roommates). Highs = the best part of your day. Lows = hardest part of the day. You can learn so much about someone during that 5 minute conversation! We would always do it over dinner----made for great conversation! :)

smiliesar said...

I can't wait to read the blog post. One thing I like that works well is when I implement it is a 10 thing pick up before meals. This helps keep things at bay better than just one time a day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...