Several years ago most of my extended family (my parents and siblings) were meeting at my home for Thanksgiving. Several members of the family were going through some very difficult trials at the time. I wanted Thanksgiving to really be about giving thanks, and thinking of all of our blessings.
I made this poster, and cut out leaves for family members to write down what they were thankful for and add to our tree daily. This year we started on November 1st. Each day I have asked the kids and Jason to each add another leaf. I am tracking here for you what I thought about each day.
Day 1 - After a late night Trick or Treating, playing with friends and general merriment, we had a rough morning! Bennett took his first nap in months! I am SO grateful that he laid down so easily. I think he was grateful that I laid him down! He looked so relieved!
Day 2 - I am so grateful for my favorite, sassy, smart, wise, lovely, kind, gorgeous, daughter. I cannot believe she turned 12 on this day. I often feel that I am the luckiest mom in the world to be so blessed with the children that I've been given.
Taken on the Fourth of July 2011 at the Rodeo.
Day 3 - I am grateful that my kids have good friends. Lily had a slumber party for her 12th birthday, and the girls she invited were so wonderful. The thing I appreciated the most was how nice they were to our whole family, including all of Lily's brother's. So far all of my kids have done really well at choosing good friends.
Fifteen years ago Jason and I went on our first date. I am so grateful that I had the guts to ask him out! That's right, I asked him out on our first date. Don't worry, he stepped up after that. It was a great date, and all of my greatest blessings have come to me as a result.
Day 4 - We had a conference today at church, so no Sunday School, just a general meeting. We had to drag Bennett out kicking and screaming, "MY CLASS! MY CLASS!!!!" I am so grateful that my 2 year old loves church, loves Sunday School and loves his teachers.
Happy Birthday to my Brother's wife, Kristin. I could not be more grateful that my brother married such an awesome woman! I love her to bits!
Day 5 - "I'm glad that I live in this beautiful world, Heavenly Father created for me." The words to one of my favorite songs came to my mind today as I looked at the gorgeous Autumn colors out my window.
Day 6 - Election Day! I am so grateful that I live in this wonderful country. I am also very grateful for the women who came before me, including my own ancestors, who worked hard to get the vote for women!
Day 7 - I am so grateful for music! Very few things in my life have brought as much joy and satisfaction as much as music has. I am so blessed to be a member of the Portland Ensign Choir and Orchestra. We are working hard on our Christmas concert right now.
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment