Ritz Bitz

Ritz Bitz

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Conversations with Harrison

One of the best parts of my life is getting to hang out with Harrison.  All of my older kids went through a very fun stage at about this age too.  At that age they are old enough to understand things better, but not always completely.  It makes for some very funny conversations.  

Harrison turned SIX in November so this post is dedicated to him, and some of the funniest things he has said recently.

When he noticed Egg Nog at Costco in October he was so ecstatic!  He MADE me buy some, and even requested that I take a picture of him with it.  This all happened just a week after Kylie left, whom also is obsessed with Egg Nog.  I posted the picture, and tagged her in it.  She, of course, loved it.  Harrison and Egg Nog, her two most favorite things!  A month later when I was in Denver with most of my sisters and my mom, I ended up being with Kylie in Costco late one night just before closing.  We couldn't resist a copy.

 Another time when I was driving to Costco with Harrison (we drive to Costco a lot) Harrison asked me if we could visit Grandma.  I asked him which one.  He said, "The one with white hair."  I said, "Grandma Mott?"  (My mother's mom, the only one white hair.)  He said, "No, the other one in Utah.  The one with white hair, and all the kids."  OH!  He meant Jason's mom.  She lives next door to Jason's oldest brother who has TEN kids!  HAHAHA!  By the way, she does not have white hair!  Please don't tell her that he said that! 

On the same trip he asked me if we could go visit the Army guy base again.  Every time he starts a conversation it takes a while before I know what he's talking about.  After going back and forth a few more times I figured out that he was referring to Fort Steven's in the Astoria area.  We went there last Spring right before I had Theo.

The conversation continued and he asked me if the any of the army guys got killed there.  I explained that no battles happened there.  I told him that the Japanese never attacked, even though we thought that they might.  Then, he said, in a confident voice, "Ohhhh... The Japanese are bad guys."  Wow, I am a horrible mother.  That is just great!  I laughed and said, "NO NO NO!!!  They are NOT bad guys!"  It took a lot of explaining, but I think he gets it now.

Harrison LOVES to make up new songs, especially for Theodore.  He never ever calls him Theo, like the rest of us.  I often hear Harrison singing a new song to Theodore, usually sung to a familiar tune.  Recently I heard him singing new words to the song "Called to Serve" which is a hymn from our church.  It has a nice marching kind of beat.  He was marching in a circle around Theodore while singing, "Theodore!  Happy Theodore, is a cu-ute little baby!  Theodore!  Happy Theodore.  Mom has boobs to give him milk!"  Etc... I might always be suppressing a giggle now every time we sing it in church.


I was in the bathroom helping the little boys go through their bedtime routine - brushing teeth, going potty etc. He looked up and said, "I am so sad that the bad guys killed "......".  Huh?  I had NO idea how or what he said.  After he repeated it several times, and gave me a few more clues I realized he was talking about Martin Luther King Jr.  Apparently that is a hard name for a six year old to say.  Anyways, he knew SO much about him.  I even asked, "Did he get mad, and want to fight?"  Harrison said, "Oh no no no!  He only wanted to be nice and show love!"  Wow!  I was impressed that he understood Dr. King's life so well!  I finally asked him, "Where did you learn all this?  At school?"  He rolled his eyes and said, "DUH!"  Well, I did get 'duhhed' at, but I am still very happy and grateful that his teacher did such a great job talking about Martin Luther King Jr. at school.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...