In the state of Oregon, a child must be 10 years old to be home without a guardian, 11 years old to babysit their own siblings and 12 to babysit others. Our oldest is 11, and our second is 10. So I've been leaving them to watch over things for an hour here and an hour there.
Next year our most used babysitter is headed off to college. We are very happy for her, but I admit that I have had a few moments of great anxiety about her leaving! I have decided that I am just going to have to train Glenn and Lily really well and have them ready for this huge change in our lives. Jason and I are gone at least one night a week together (We sing in the Portland Mormon Choir and Orchestra and rehearse on Tuesday nights.) I am looking forward to not having to pay a sitter, though I have offered to pay Glenn and Lily $5 each for Tuesday nights.
Last weekend Jason and I bought tickets to go a murder mystery theater dessert night at the High School here. It was a fundraiser for the theater department, and if you know me, you know that I majorly support those kinds of programs! I thought that since we would only be 5 minutes away, and gone for 1 1/2 hours it would be a good trial run. A trial run to see how Glenn and Lily would do with getting their 3 younger brothers into bed. Before I give all the wonderful details I will say that they did AWESOME! Bennett, the baby was asleep when we got home, and Harrison and Max were in bed, though they were very upset about it.
About 10 minutes before the end of the show my silenced phone started going off. I couldn't answer it right away. These are the 3 voicemails that were left on my phone.
#1 - from Lily, hushed tones and frantic - "Uh mom, the boys are giving us trouble, Max is picking a fight with Harrison, and every time I tell Max to be quiet he starts screaming louder and Bennett is trying to sleep. Take a listen....(at this point she holds the phone out for me to hear Max and Harrison screaming and crying.)
There is no trouble with Glenn or Harrison or Bennett - just Max. Max is going crazy now, please call soon!"
#2 - from Lily, hushed tones and frantic - "I'm sorry mom, I know it's just been a couple of minutes since I left the last message but Harrison is being more impossible than before. I tried to put him in bed because Max started kicking him and now he's trying everything to not go to bed....
and NOW he's running all over the house! Next time we call please please please please answer the phone. Please please please please please please pick up the phone..... please call back.
#3 - from Glenn, Very matter of fact and annoyed voice - "Hello mom, I am just so sorry to say that Max is being SO rude. He's acting like some little rabid monster. I did try my best. He's obviously very cranky. He was up playing DS, and I think you should ground him, but whatever, your the mom, you do what you think is best. Uh, meanwhile we'll try to stay together. And yeah, we're doing fine. Bye, I love you, I hope you get home soon.
2 comments:
OH MY GOSH! I am laughing my head off! Boy does that take me back! I remember those days w/ multiple adolescents was HARDER than when you were all little.....when you are too old to hire a sitter but a pack of raving maniacs when left on your own!
Oh my gosh... I remember that too mom... haha Wow Corinne! Glenn and Lily are just amazing! This is waaaaay impressive... I just can't believe it! So funny too because you can hear the different personalities in those phone messages... HAHAHAH!
Post a Comment