Ritz Bitz

Ritz Bitz

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

How to Make Flubber

This week, Lily had to do a "HOW TO" speech in school.  She chose how to make FLUBBER!  She recently made flubber at OMSI in the chemistry lab.  So she found this link off the OMSI website with the recipe.  Her speech went great!  At the end she said, "Last night my mom and I got a bit carried away, and I have a bag of flubber for each of you."  Then she said the whole class stood and cheered!  It was like being in a movie!  Even the teacher took a bag, because who doesn't like to play with flubber?

While the older kids were at school I decided to make some with Harrison.  Here are some instructions and helpful hints for you.  You know, just in case you wanted to play with some flubber too.

First helpful hint - DO NOT turn your back on a four year old with food coloring on the counter!
(I know, that pretty much goes without saying, I must be stupid!)

While I was getting the warm water and other ingredients he squeezed the food coloring bottle so hard that the lid popped off and color went everywhere!  He was yelling over and over, "I PROMISE I WASN'T TRYING TO DO THAT!!" 

Another helpful hint, don't do this unless you are feeling patient, have no kids around, or are in a really good mood.  I was luckily feeling very patient and was in a great mood.  I thought it was funny and took pictures before cleaning it up!  I am so proud of myself for not freaking out!

**In a large bowl mix 1 1/2 cups warm water with 2 cups of glue.

Helpful Hint - If a four year old asks, "Can I touch it?"  Say, "NO!" and then quickly take a picture!


**Stir in the glue with the water till completely combined.


**Add food coloring to the glue mix.


**Add glitter, if you choose, to the glue mix.  I thought this would be messy, and that we would have glitter everywhere, but we didn't.


**In a smaller bowl stir together 2 teaspoons 20 mule team Borax (a kind of detergent) with 1 1/2 cups warm water, till Borax is completely dissolved.
** Add the Borax water in with the glue.


**Keep stirring, it will start to get clumpy.


Helpful Hint - Be ready to take a picture of your child's excited face when they witness the chemical reaction!


Helpful Hint - You can only stir with the spoon for so long.  In order to mix all the liquid into the glue it is best to use your bare hands.




Helpful Hint - The longer you squeeze it and work with it, the drier and less messy it becomes.

**Take it out of the mixing bowl and transfer it to an airtight container.  It can last up to 2 weeks.







8 comments:

Cindy said...

Oh my gosh. That was delightful and hilarious in so many ways! What a great success for Lily! But, nothing could be better than seeing Harrison at work making the flubber. His expressions are pricelss. I may have to make some for Dad! Or, better yet, take pictures of HIM making it!

Bailey said...

i really miss that boy. also, i'm happy you were in such a good mood to make flubber. i told Garrett that our kids wil NEVER play with play doh when the grow up, just because i think its disgusting and really messy. but i guess i can handle flubber.

RitzFamilyHappenings said...

One of our favorite summer activities. It keeps Ryan occupied for hours.

Carrie said...

LOVE the pictures of Harrison, they cracked me up! We love all of the flubber you brought us. Thank you!!

Alli said...

Love it! Love the pictures, love the cutie kid with his facial expressions, love flubber, love the commentary :)

AJ said...

Corinne you are so cool. I really wish you lived in Salem. hint hint.

Amanda Davis said...

Love it all!!! I love your mom's comments to she cracks me up! I think we will have to make this this "summer"since we won't ever get to play out side unless we want to put on our rain gear!

Brooke said...

Oh Corinne that was awesome! Thank you for sharing! I can't wait to make some... and man Harry's faces are just the best... I kept laughing out loud and had to keep showing Mick all of his hillarious faces... loved it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...