The best Christmas Present I got this year was $$ to go with the credit I had with Southwest to visit my parents, both brothers, sister and sister in law and nephews. I got to bring Harrison and Bennett (Bennett has one more month before he is 2 and can no longer fly for free.) The credit I had expired in May, and I'm having a baby in April - SO, we had to go NOW before it was too late to take advantage of this situation.
Harrison got two activity sticker books, new crayons etc. to use on this trip, for Christmas. After he opened them, I hid them. He didn't see them again till we were on the plane. He was really excited to open his backpack and find them!
My mom picked us up from the airport.
This post is going to be super picture heavy. I had so much fun watching my boys play with their cousins. They just don't see each other enough.
We had fun at Chuck E. Cheese
Bennett has never been, and Isaac and Kris have a nice, clean new one very close to their house. I gotta say, going to this location has completely changed the bad image in my mind of Chuck E. Cheese establishments. The boys had a blast, and I think the parents did too.
Bennett's favorite thing there, besides Chuck E. himself. He wanted to ride this horse over and over. It was actually a fast galloping horse. I had a hard time letting go him to take a picture, and they are all blurry.
Bennett and I eating our pizza.
Harrison loves to play dress up with his cousins. I told him he could bring one costume in his suitcase. He chose the skeleton one I made him for Halloween. When my mom first brought us to Isaac's house that night, Jimmer had on his skeleton costume already to go. Harrison was ecstatic! The boys found some old Halloween Napkins in a cupboard, and they became part of the game.
We had a lot of fun at an indoor park one afternoon.
Brotherly Love - Though I'm not sure if this isn't one sided.
Jake being a super climber.
Best Cousin's - Jake is four months older than Harry. For many weeks after this Harrison asked me almost every day if Jake could come over for a play date. (Don't worry - This is one of Harrison's pose faces he does for fun. It does not portray his exact emotions at the time.)
The big bouncy balls all over the place were a huge hit with all the boys.
Jimmer and Bennett actually played together for awhile.
We got to go and visit Uncle Isaac's and Grandpa's new business. My brother starts Dental School this Fall, but bought this business so my dad could have a job. This is why my whole family has deserted me. Isaac is just too smart for words. He's wanted mom and dad to move closer to him for years, and I guess this was the way to do it. After my dad was laid off 8 years ago, this was the way to go. A huge relief and blessing for our whole family.
The business is a pet crematorium. Yep, you read that right. It is super interesting stuff. In a way my parents are perfect for this business because they are big time pet lovers. In fact in the front reception area they have a wall of framed pictures of all of us with different pets we have loved through the years. It's a very compassionate way to earn a living.
Harrison fully understood that Grandpa was burning dead dogs, and was having a hard time knowing how to handle that information. Bennett just kept pointing into the fire and cheerfully saying, "Doggy!"
The boys were excited to see this snow plow/tractor used to clear the parking lot through the winter.
They got to go for a short ride around the empty parking lot in Grandpa's work truck.
Boys got tired.
Naps were had.
We got to hang out at Grandma and Grandpa's new house, and got to love the kitty's. Bennett was especially happy to see his old friends. He did not call them cats. He called them 'Meows'.
Little Ghost was hiding, Wickett was in a witchy mood (nothing new there), so Achilles took one for the team and pretended to be Bennett's cuddle toy.
Other than Glenn, Bennett is the cuddliest child I have. He loves to just be held. I LOVE it! And so does Grandma!
Jackson was there, which totally thrilled my boys. Bennett was very wary of Wickett because of past experiences. Jackson was a good protector.
Jackson played Army Guys with Harrison in his room.
Aunt Paige played Army Guys with Harrison too.
Aunt Kristen and Grandma helping put stickers on all the new army guys.
For some reason my mom thought this was funny. Time to take a picture. Me, Dad, Isaac and Paige all on our smart phones. Whatever.
Bennett getting cozy with Isaac, even though Isaac was trying to work. He's such a good uncle.
One morning the boys decided to make a 'fort.' The fort never materialized. Instead it became a giant pillow/cushion pile for jumping. The boys dragged in every pillow and cushion from the family room and bedrooms to the Living room to make a fun cushy jumping pit.
They played with all the toys, and even had fun eating lunch next to each other.
There were lots of fun new toys to play with, but Bennett was very excited to see a familiar book.
The first day or so things went great. By the end of the second day Jimmer, the younger cousin, was having a hard time with the fact that Harrison and Jake were having such a good time together. They are like two peas in a pod. Harrison kinda took Jimmer's place as Jake's playmate. Jimmer started to really take his frustrations out on Harrison. His frustration was building until the 3rd night we were there when they were sword fighting, and Jimmer got Harrison really good in the face. Of course, I felt super sad for Harrison, but I was also super sad for Jimmer. He was having such a hard time.
That night when I was tucking Harrison in, I helped him say his prayers. I prompted him to say he was grateful for Jake and Jimmer. He opened his eyes, and in a soft, sad voice said, "No, not Jimmer." It broke my heart, but was so funny. I'm pretty sure Jimmer really wanted Harrison to leave as well. I am glad to say that by the last night they were on good terms again, and Harrison even said he was grateful for Jake AND Jimmer in his prayers. I think things will get better as they all get older, and Bennett will be more in the mix to even things out.
Here is proof that they were on good terms. This is the next morning after the sword incident. Harrison and Jimmer happily playing and sharing Army Guys while Jake was at school.
One morning Isaac went out and swept about a foot of snow off the trampoline so the boys could jump. It was perfect! This was Jake and Jimmer's present for Christmas. Apparently Santa found this great deal on Craig's List. :)
One thing that was really exciting for Harrison was the SNOW! He got to help shovel the patio.
On our last morning there, before catching our flight home Jake and Jimmer learned what Bennett's funnest word is. "Bee Bo!" One of our favorite books is "Belly Button Book" by Sandra Boynton. (FYI - I LOVE all of her books and music for kids.)
It is about a little hippo who calls Belly Buttons, Bee Bo's. So naturally, that is what Bennett calls them, and if he sees one, he is glad to point it out.
The older three boys chased and cornered Bennett all over the house trying to get him to shout, "Bee BO!!!" Bennett loved it! And the older boys were giggling their heads off.
I took this video towards the end of the Bee Bo fun, so there is not as much laughing from the older boys, but Bennett is still really into the game.
One last lunch together.












1 comment:
That was such a great post! Can I just cut and copy it over to my blog?? haha. I loved every picture. I will have to show the boys. They will love it too. I am still sorry for the sword fight! That was horrible. I look forward to our next get together. We love you guys so much ....Now will you move to Denver????
Post a Comment