Ritz Bitz

Ritz Bitz

Monday, May 21, 2012

The Rest of the Story - for those who care.

Having a baby is hard to do. 

Yeah, I know I do not labor or birth the baby, but it's still hard work!

I already wrote about Theodore's birthday HERE, but I wanted to put down. for my record, the story of that day in more detail before I forget.  Theo will be 4 weeks old tomorrow! 


With this last one, every thing seemed harder and more magnified. About 2 days before the C-Section and birth I kinda went crazy.  It's a good thing my mom was here.  I was so ridden with anxiety and emotion.  I was so terrified for the surgery, and so upset about this being my last one.  I was just very conflicted.  One second I was laughing and happy and excited to be almost done.  Then ten minutes later I was balling my eyes out, and giving Jason and mom my instructions on what to do if I died during surgery.  At least I knew I was being crazy.  I had that going for me.  I was doing my best to play it cool, but I was fooling no one!  I caught my mom and Jason laughing at me behind my back several times.  

The morning of surgery - 
I was just a heap of emotion.  I really did NOT want to go through with it, but at this point what other choice did I have?  

To start off with the two nurses checking me in both tried twice each to get my IV started.  I have very small, strange veins and they always have a hard time getting my IV started.  It had never been that bad before.  At one point, as I was trying to control the tears, I almost asked them to please let Jason do it.  He totally could have.  I could tell he was going just as crazy as I was, having to watch them try.  They finally called an IV nurse.  She got it in the first try and I felt NOTHING!  I loved her.

The next hurdle - meeting the CRNA, nurse anesthetist.  I have always had really really great ones.  The last couple have been great with Jason, and even let him in to watch the anesthesia.  This is normally not done, but because Jason is an RN and going to do a Master's in anesthesia they have let him in for it.  This guy was just a jerk.  I got bad vibes from him. He said, "I just do not feel comfortable with having him (Jason) in there.  That really bothered me, and made me nervous.  He had to attempt the anesthesia twice!  This had NEVER happened before in any of my 5 previous C-Sections.  It was so bad!  I was a mess in the O.R.  The anesthetist got frustrated with me and even raised his voice.  He said, "Your anxiety level is way too high.  You need to calm down."  Well, DUH!  I was trying!  

All the docs and nurses were sitting around and waiting.  My OB, who I just love, came over and put his arm around me and helped me through it.  He is an amazing and compassionate doctor.  

I had told the anesthetist beforehand that my blood pressure tends to plummet after anesthesia is administered and I will throw up.  The last few anesthetists were on top of that and fixed the problem immediately.  This time, not so much.  I was extremely nauseous through most of the surgery.  He kept trying to get it under control, but it would not stay away. 


Just before Theo was born, as I was feeling SO miserable, I looked at Jason with tears in my eyes and asked him to please enjoy this for the both of us.  I wanted so badly to be in the moment and experience this, but I just couldn't because of how awful I felt. 

 I am so grateful that a huge blessing occurred.  Right after I said that to Jason my head cleared, and I felt much better.  I was able to really be present in mind and body as Theodore was born.  


 After my first 5 C-Sections things got much better after the surgery was complete.  This time, not so much.  I was in bad shape the whole day.  I've never had the IV or catheter in this long before.  I could not keep any drugs down at all, and so the only pain killer they could administer was morphine into my IV. Usually I am keeping a liquid diet down by the afternoon and on to solids the next day.  This time I was throwing everything up.


This looks like he's crying, but it is an adorable yawn. 



 Throughout my first day, every time I would talk on the phone to anyone, I would throw up.  The first time I was on the phone with the secretary at my kids elementary school.  Another time I was on the phone with Jason.  My mom and Jason got really good at knowing the look on my face, and when to get me a basin QUICK!  

The first time, when I was on the phone with the school, I just started snapping at Jason.  He looked at me and ran a basin to me.  I finished the conversation and hung up just as I started throwing up in the basin that he had barely placed under my chin. I was really impressed with Jason.  My mom was sitting even closer, and she had no idea what I needed.  Jason is amazing.  I guess this means we have a good connection. 
  
Two days after surgery a rash started to develop on my incision.  Jason thought it was due to the steri-strips.  He took the strips off.  (Yes, you can be thinking it.  He was my number one nurse.  It was kinda nice to have my own personal nurse 24/7.  In the past he has annoyed me at times with his constant nursing, but not this time.  I really needed him.)  The next day the rash was still bad.  I was supposed to go home from the hospital, but I was not feeling up to that emotionally or physically.  

My OB came in to talk to us, and Jason totally took over, as I was in bed trying to not cry... again.  Jason basically told him that I needed to be there another night, and the doctor said, "Uh, OK."  Then Jason asked the doctor to tell the nurses to lay off of us.  All of my babies loose more than the appropriate amount of weight while in the hospital.  The nurses tend to go a little crazy.  It's really annoying to me.  The Doctor laughed and said, "OK"  He did, and not another word was said to us about that!  FYI - Little baby Theo is thriving and gaining weight just fine, as all my babies did after coming home.

It was just what I needed.  The next day, after an extra 24 hours, I was doing so much better, and ready to go home.

Dr. Sargent, my OB and Theo






This what we call a 'milk coma'.



1 comment:

Bailey said...

hahahahah! that picture of you on the phone made me laugh so hard. you just look so out of it, but my favorite part is that Theo is just chillin there next to you. hahah

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...